Skip to main content

Limericks for My Mama

Limericks for my Mama on her birthday, 1/4/2021

There once was a mommy of one
who wanted her child to have fun,
so she taught her to rhyme--
the result was sublime
except for the times it was dumb.

She’d married a much older man.
Having kids wasn’t part of the plan,
but one night they felt frisky 
and did something risky
and that was how Carol began. 

When Carol was in a recital 
(for dancing was something so vital)
proud Mama would preen
like a smiling machine
and award her the superstar title.

When Carol to college was headed 
no chauffeur was what Mama dreaded, 
so she bought a new car 
but she didn’t drive far.
The instructor screamed, “Let’s just forget it! 

Now she looks down from Heaven at me
and thinks, “How can it possibly be
that my little girl child
has grown up and grown wild
and has gone on a limerick spree?”

Now you see that I’m really no poet.
I’m a fraud, and believe me I know it!
But you gotta admit
that at least I’m half-wit.
(Oh please can it, just stop it, just stow it!)

 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baptism

I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.   ~  John 1:29-34 Here he comes, cousin, kinsman, the one who even as a child gave me breath and hope to see beyond the stones and stars to a deeper, higher way. Playmate of my childhood those times of visitation of our mothers, starting even in the womb. I leapt at his approach. And here he comes again, walking, purposeful, his face, his gaze turned right on me. I rise from where I bend over the newly baptized and look him full in his shining face. I know why he has come. But can it be? Can he, the one who showed me grace now come and bend to these waters to be plunged and have his sins expunged? He knows no sin! I know! I see into his heart at last. How can he come to me to be cleansed? Oh no! But he walks on, says yes, I come to you. It must be so. And so we step together into that waiting pool. I see him sink, then rise. And now! T...

Resurrection Clothes

Lord, what were you wearing when you rose? What were your Resurrection clothes? A gardener’s rough attire? A traveler’s robe? The burial cloth aside (no longer suitable attire for one not dead). Aside, the strip of cloth that wound about your head. What did your Father give you then? What Resurrection garb was fitting for a Savior to be clothed in to walk among the not-yet-dead and not-yet-risen? You looked like us, I think. No one could tell the difference at first, but when you spoke, or broke the bread or walked through solid doors or roasted fish or let a loved one thrust his hand into your side— ah, then we saw and said, “My Lord, my God!” What are to be my Resurrection clothes? if I’m to play a part in this event, to share the rising that you’ve done? I’ll look like everyone, won’t I? My graveclothes gone, emerging from my tomb, I’ll walk, enrobed in you, among the not-yet throng. Will tend the garden, break the...

The Midwife

I've had the feeling all this day, my hands will hold a newborn child tonight. For here in Bethlehem, the crowds pour in, and there’s such life, such jostling and good cheer, despite the hardships of our getting here and wondering where we’d find to sleep. But finally we’ve settled in a stable cave, where all that’s left is one small space, a hollow, far in back, where no one’s set up camp. And now just look: Here come a man and his young wife, so large with child (a boy, by how she carries him) and yet so easy on her feet she seems to glide to that hollow surely saved for them. I make my way to greet them, telling who I am and what I do, and how my hands have told me that a child will come into this world, this cave, my hands, tonight. She looks into my eyes, says I am right. She’s known it too. I know what to do, and as I’ve done   so many times before, I ready her for what’s to come. And soon the head emerges and I see the little...