Skip to main content

Baptism


I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God. 
John 1:29-34

Here he comes, cousin, kinsman,
the one who even as a child
gave me breath and hope
to see beyond the stones and stars
to a deeper, higher way.

Playmate of my childhood
those times of visitation of
our mothers, starting
even in the womb.
I leapt at his approach.

And here he comes again,
walking, purposeful,
his face, his gaze
turned right on me.

I rise from where I bend
over the newly baptized
and look him full
in his shining face.
I know why he has come.

But can it be? Can he,
the one who showed me grace
now come and bend
to these waters to be plunged
and have his sins expunged?

He knows no sin! I know!
I see into his heart at last.
How can he come to me
to be cleansed? Oh no!

But he walks on, says yes,
I come to you. It must be so.
And so we step together
into that waiting pool.
I see him sink, then rise.

And now! The heavens burst
with majesty and light!
And from the center of the sky
a dove flies down and lights
on his bejeweled head.

And now a voice
that thunders in its peace
says, “Here he is! My Son!”
Do what he says!”



January 3, 2014 — Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus


This was the first poem I wrote, even before starting the Spiritual Exercises, when I was planning to begin and knew enough about Ignatian meditation to put myself in the scene. I was John the Baptist.

Comments

  1. Keep it up! These works need to be shared. It is selfish to keep them to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, Carol! This particular poem speaks to me so deeply. I am sitting alone in a cabin high on a mountain with rain falling outside and you brought Him right here beside me. I cannot wait to see what else He sends through you. A gift is simply that, Him flowing through you, so you can just step back and let it flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are sharing these. They will bear fruit for others. Your gift is a blessing.
    Laura Steltenpohl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resurrection Clothes

Lord, what were you wearing when you rose? What were your Resurrection clothes? A gardener’s rough attire? A traveler’s robe? The burial cloth aside (no longer suitable attire for one not dead). Aside, the strip of cloth that wound about your head. What did your Father give you then? What Resurrection garb was fitting for a Savior to be clothed in to walk among the not-yet-dead and not-yet-risen? You looked like us, I think. No one could tell the difference at first, but when you spoke, or broke the bread or walked through solid doors or roasted fish or let a loved one thrust his hand into your side— ah, then we saw and said, “My Lord, my God!” What are to be my Resurrection clothes? if I’m to play a part in this event, to share the rising that you’ve done? I’ll look like everyone, won’t I? My graveclothes gone, emerging from my tomb, I’ll walk, enrobed in you, among the not-yet throng. Will tend the garden, break the

Lesser Gifts

Lesser Gifts I.    This Little Light of Mine Oh come now! It’s so tiny, so unshiny how can it give light enough to make a cricket dance? Puny little thing! It flickers now and then, but when it’s held up to the light of day it fades and squirms away. Just hold it up, you say and say and say. Oh, all right then, here you go, I sputter, eyes a-roll. You shake your lion head and smile and I see stars, so small, fly off your mane but all together dancing,  whitening the air.  Is mine like that? A little star among the billions trillions sesquatillions? Yeah, I guess—what if we all said Not enough of this big bright is mine? Is that your point? Should I just stop my whining, just  let my microscopic flicker shine? II.    Coins of the Realm Walk up timidly and put them in my little coins, the last I have of this world’s goods. One, two…. So small, so insignificant,  but all I have to give. Ah, someone sees! So